The Big Smoke.

The Big Smoke.

Thursday 15 September 2011

Rodarte: A tribute to Van Gogh. When art imitates... fashion.

Rodarte's SS12 collection in New York yesterday was an utter tribute to the master of art himself: Vincent Van Gogh. The label behind the costumes from The Black Swan gave us dresses that were each an individual canvas dedicated to the iconic imagery of the artist. Emphatic as their accolade clearly was, how you can get copyright to do this, I'm not sure. But it was certainly a statement and I know for this, it will be a memorable collection.

 The colour palette is beautiful, however I find the print a little uncomfortable, if I'm honest it feels slightly like cheapening Van Gogh's legacy, and so I'm not convinced i 'like' it. 

It was interesting to see a painting come to life like this, and just stroll down the catwalk, granted. I'm just not sure of the artistic merit to fashion, or originality, of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment